Hello! Happy first real week of 2015 and happy first real post on Peonies & Paleo!
Wondering about the name “Peonies & Paleo”? The Reader’s Digest version (in case you missed the introductory post) is that I started this blog to combine my love of refined things as well as my passion for real food. Because it’s more than just ok to carry Kate Spade to the CSA pickup. And you don’t have to be a hippie to be healthy!
There are so many exciting things I have planned for this space! To kick things off on a healthy note, I’m sharing a new recipe I developed based on a friend’s go-to winter soup. Chock full of protein, “good” carbs, and nutrient-rich kale, this Paleo-friendly, Whole 30-friendly soup eats like a meal in under an hour.
Sausage, Sweet Potato & Kale Soup
- 1TBSP EVOO
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 4 Chicken Sausages – quartered & sliced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes – peeled & diced
- 1 large gold potato – peeled & diced
- 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- 4C chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale or spinach
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add sausage and brown for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, diced tomatoes, & broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Add greens and continue to simmer an additional 10-15 minutes.
This recipe yields 4 very generous servings. I’ve just started my second Whole 30 (my first was exactly a year ago) and started my Sunday food prep with a pot of this.
I’d love to hear how you’re starting the New Year!!